IANA, i.e. the Internet Assigned Number Authority, has kept aside a set of IP Addresses for various reasons, including the creation of a dedicated address for logging into your router’s control panel.
Typically, 192.168.1.1 is the IP address for a router’s login page - once the user enters their username and password, the page redirects to the settings and configuration page.
The problem is that most people get it wrong on the first try because of human error and maybe even auto-correct suggestions - they end up entering 192.168.l.1 Instead of 192.168.1.1.
This is because the number “1” and the letter “l” look quite alike, so when people read out the IP address on screen or from the router’s box, they tend to interchange the two.
Here are some commonly misspelled IP entries, and their corrections:
Incorrect: 192.168.l.1 login
Correct: 192.168.1.1 login
Generally, you may want to access your router’s control panel to assign a new password, allow or limit access to new users, reset the router, and change other configuration options.
The good news is that you do not need to be tech-savvy to amend your settings, it’s a straight forward process, you need to ensure that you are not typing in a misspelled IP address.
Let’s go through each step in detail.
If you are trying to reach your router’s dashboard via 192.168.1.1, we suggest you take the following steps:
Open the browser
- Enter 192.168.1.1
- Enter your ID and Password – Usually available beneath the router, in its manual or on the box it came in
- Reach the settings and configuration page
Remember, if your login credentials are not correct, you cannot reach the router’s control panel.
If you're not receiving the optimal speed assigned by your service provider, and the issue is not at their end, the chances are that your router is acting up.
One quick fix is to turn it off and turn it on again, but if that does not work, protocol dictates that you should reset your router. Once you are on the settings page you are given the option of rebooting the router or carrying out a complete factory-rest.
You may also use the settings page to add a new password, change an old password or assign a new name to your router. For instance, you can change the username from Asus or Netgear to your family name, brand name, etc.
Your neighbors might be using your internet because you have not restricted access with a password, or your current password has been breached.
Not only can you change the password from the dedicated dashboard, but you can also view user activity to see who else is using your network.
The problem is that many famous brands such as Linksys, D-link, Asus, Netgear, and TP-Link have also dedicated the 192.168.1.1 address for reaching the configuration page on their devices.
Had they used other numbers that didn’t resemble 192.168.1.1, the occurrence of misspelled IP’s could have been limited.
If you don’t know what your IP address is, and 192.168.1.1 is not the one assigned to your router, you can locate the IP by using Command Prompt and taking these steps:
Well, there you have it, just make sure you enter the right IP, and not something like 192.168.l.1.
1. What is 192.168.l.l?192.168.1.1 is a default IP address. The IP address always contains 4 sets of numbers ranging between 0 and 255. This is because each device connected to the internet is supposed to have a unique address. So, the first three sets are the network id, and the last set is the device id. In 192.168.1.1 the network id is 192 and the device id is 168.1.1
2. How to log in to 192.168.l.l / How to login into 192.168.l.l / How to use 192.168.l.lFirst, type 192.168.1.1 in your browser’s address bar. Then, enter username and password, and then click OK or Login.
3. What are the (most common) default logins for 192.168.l.l?The most common default logins for 192.168.1.1 IP address are Username: admin, Password: admin
4. What is the (most common) default username for 192.168.l.l?The most common default username for 192.168.1.1 address is admin
5. What is the (most common) default password for 192.168.l.l?The most common default password for 192.168.1.1 address is admin
6. 192.168.l.l - How to Access Router IP Address?First, type 192.168.1.1 in your browser’s address bar, Then, enter your username and password, and then click OK or LOGIN.
7. How to login into 192.168.l.l / Hot to go to 192.168.l.l / How to use 192.168.l.lFirst, type 192.168.1.1 in your browser’s address bar, Then, enter your username and password, and then click OK or LOGIN.